Thursday 23 February 2012

Food

The food made here is high in carbohydrates, salt and staples. There are three types of bananas we eat, small yellow ones that taste like sugar has been sprinkled on them, long yellow ones that ripen on trees so that when you peel them, the outer skin falls off instantly and green ones that are cooked into matoke. Mataoke is a dish where the bananas (indizies) are peeled, smashed, placed in a pot and covered in banana leaves to keep the heat in. All the cooking is done over the fire and prepared by a woman we call Aunty. At dinner you can expect white rice, pineapple, spaghetti and purple peanut sauce made from ground peanuts that function as a source of protein. These five things are eaten every lunch and dinner. Breakfast usually consists of a tea and cereal but as a treat, we sometimes make rolexes, which is flour and water cooked into something that resembles nan bread and an egg.

Occasionally the married Australian couple, Jahan and Jess, make potato and green pepper curry, which is the best curry I’ve ever tasted in my life because there is so much flavour and spice. You can buy the curry packets at the local markets and trading posts. I am always grateful when they make a curry dish because the food, even after only a week is very repetitive and I find myself taking smaller and smaller portions but still having enough to eat. All the non-Ugandan volunteers look forward to Sundays because we travel into Masaka and eat at a small western style cafe ( that I am sure is kept in business by the many Holland tourists) that serves pizza, hamburgers and milkshakes. My favourite at 9,000 shillings (about $4) would have to be the chocolate and banana milkshake, which because of the fresh bananas and milk, tastes a bit like heaven.

Fish and Chips- A Tourist Favourite
My phone is not working, but I would like to send my love to my parents, davey baby and family

1 comment: