Wednesday 4 January 2012

First Steps

I've been sent to a rural community known as Mosaka, Uganda which is 45 minutes from the nearest town (town is an overstatement, it actually consists of two hotels and a grocery store) near Lake Victoria, located at the source of the Nile. I will be accompanied by 2 other people: Leandra and Greg. My 5 month internship position is called a family empowerment officer and my resposibilities will be to present workshops on issues such as hygeine, sex education, domestic violence and health. I also will be checking in on child-headed households, organizing a womens spirit day and starting a community garden.

I will leave my hometown of Kamloops, British Columbia on January 8th, 2012 and travel to Victoria, British Columbia for a month long training orientation. Luckily, I am travelling a week early so I can reconnect with my old high school friends and boyfriend David. The orientation will start in Sooke for two weeks and end in Victoria for the final two weeks. I will leave for Uganda on Feburary 12th on a 24 hour + plane ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment