Saturday 14 April 2012

Jackfruit

One day sitting by the house was a middle aged man. I did not know him so I decided to wait until someone introduced him to me. I grabbed some jackfruit from the kitchen and walked out. Still no one had arrived to introduce us so I sat down beside him and split the jackfruit into two, offering the other half to him. He started to talk rapidly in Lugandan, shuffling away from me on the bench and becaming increasingly anxious. Finally Charles arrived and greeted the man. “Charles what is he saying I asked.  Charles translated that the man was complaining about how dirty he was in front of the muzungu, how he had grass in his hair and could not believe he was sharing jackfruit with a muzungu and would not speak English. He wished he could take a picture. I slid over next to the man and told Charles to tell him that I had just come from coaching the girl’s netball practice and I was dirty as well. Then I grabbed my camera and to the man’s delight and surprise we had Charles take a picture of us.  I snuggled in close to him and made pretend kissy faces and he could not help but laugh and say he would be telling everyone about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment