Friday 18 May 2012

So That is What Evil Tastes Like

Caroline was sick and not taking her medication. It wasn’t that she refused to take it; she was just conveniently absent every time someone mentioned it was medicine time. I swear the sound of her feet disappearing over the nearest hill could be heard every 4-6 hours.

Just as she was about to pull one of her disappearing acts I caught her by the elbow and said, “Wait up, let’s take your medicine together. I am not sick but I will suffer through the doses with you.” Just as Caroline agreed the sound of Charles manic chuckling at the doorway caught our attention. He was holding the traditional remedy and smashing the water and aloe vera leaves together.

The green leaves were mashed and strained into a deep green coloured drink and placed before us on the kitchen table. “Don’t smell it,” Charles warned. Caroline and I prepared ourselves and positioned a glass of passion fruit juice nearby for a chaser.

“One, two, three...” I counted down and swallowed. The mixture hit my tongue like a spoiled drink and after a few gulps I reached for the passion fruit juice. Caroline was still chugging her drink back with a facial expression one has before vomiting. Once the aftertaste kicked in I though this is what evil must taste like. Caroline put her drink down and looking disoriented, she forgot to have the passion fruit juice. “Drink it!” I urged as she grabbed for the glass I was holding up to her. After a lot of tongue sticking out and gagging I looked over at her and with a wink, asked “See you in four hours?”


2 comments:

  1. The mark of a good friend, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhmmmm.....probably i would have taken long to get well if u hadn't encouraged me Kirsten, trust me i will always have that memory in my head. Thank you

    ReplyDelete