Sunday 1 July 2012

A New Perspective

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
                                                                                                           -Alan Cohen

I knew I had changed as a person in Uganda because every day I learned new things, grew more peaceful and happy and saw things from a new perspective. Lately I am realizing how much I have changed, how some things that I felt were so important when I left Canada have become meaningless, and how other things have dimmed in their importance and I am now making decisions based on my values rather than things I love, or even once felt addicted to. 

It is tempting after a life changing experience to hope you will turn back into the person you were before you left. A combination of sleep deprivation and culture shock confuse you just enough for a few days into thinking you can pick up your old life, your good old life, where you left it. Once that haze wears off though you realize you have changed and that you will never be the old you. That is where the scary part starts, you realize you need to change your life to fit the new you.

The good news is I know myself better than when I left, I know what makes me happy and what I value.

I have chosen to continue this blog, the process of writing is enjoyeable and I am on a new adventure to move to a major city in two weeks where I am starting an International Relations degree and integrating into a new community where I hope to focus on incorporating the lessons I learned in Uganda into my new life. I hope to write about how to live more sustainably, connecting with my first nations culture and my new perspective on Canadian culture.

See you soon,

Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment