Saturday 14 July 2012

When One Door Closes Another Opens

Just as I am feeling settled in Kamloops it is now time for me to move onto the next chapter of my life.  My family is currently selling our house and holding a giant garage sale. It is so overwhelming to see truckload after truckload of household items being given away. We have collected too many items that we no longer use, it is easy to give things away now that I know what is really important: your family and enough items to fill a suitcase, the rest does not matter.

I will be moving to the University of British Columbia to attend university where I will be majoring in International Relations with a double minor in languages and sustainable development. I am very excited about my upcoming Cree language class. My grandmother used to speak Cree but after Residential school she rarely spoke it around us and the language died with her. In addition to connecting with my traditional language I have also started drumming. I was incredibly humbled to be presented with a drum by Bruce Perisian at the Victoria Friendship Centre on National Aboriginal Day and have been playing ever since. It is amazing how quickly you pick up traditional songs and start incorporating it into your life. I played it recently for the first time in public at my grandmother funeral service as we prayed for her safe travel into the spirit world. I think she would have liked that.

I have Uganda to thank for realizing that a connection to my culture is important to me. Hopefully this is the start of something great.

No comments:

Post a Comment