Thursday 13 September 2012

Colonization

After four months of intense reflection and self analysis in Uganda I realised that knowing my traditional language of Saulteaux is a necessary and missing part of my identity. Knowing the value it would bring to my life I decided to take language classes upon my return to Canada.

Once in Canada the VIDEA program put its interns in touch with educational mentors. My mentor is a Political Science professor at the University of British Columbia known for her grassroots involvement and work ethic. Over a coffee she told me that the best way to secure employment for myself in the International Relations field was to take "coloniser languages" such as French and Spanish instead of traditional First Nations languages. She continued by saying it was unfortunate, but that the educational priority should be coloniser languages before my native tongue. Interestingly it was when I did a short speech on National Aboriginal Day about the importance of connecting with my culture that she approached me and offered to be my mentor.

1 comment:

  1. Well what's important is that you had a blast and you have enjoyed your intern abroad.

    ReplyDelete