Saturday 3 March 2012

The Racist Turkeys


Ladies and gentlemen,
I have a new hero. Her name is Prossi and she is 5 years old. Prossi, delightful and kind as she is, is the muzungu (white person) protector. Laugh as you will, when turkeys come chasing after you, you will feel fear. Luckily, Prossi is armed with a tree branch and a vindictive smile and happily chases those turkeys away, showing them whose boss. When I grow up I want to be like Prossi.

A few days ago the turkeys saw me and decided to chase me down, puffing up their feathers like a peakock they charged at me. Seeing as how it was 6am I was slower than usual and stood there, slightly curious to see how this would go down. One of the turkeys leaped at me and it felt like being hit by a pillow during a pillow fight. Alas, our other volunteer Jessica wasn't so lucky, as she was clawed by the turkeys.
I'm all for animal rights but these turkeys had to be shown who was boss. At the moment, they were boss and I was plotting for thanksgiving.

Walking to work one day the turkeys came after me and I threw little pebbles at them. Undeterred they continued advancing. So, Prossi style, I picked up a stick. Still advancing (no muzunga has ever done anything but run away) I tapped one with the stick. They didn't stop. I hit one turkey harder. Then they stopped. Every now and then I can feel them watching me around the chicken coop, deciding if they should come closer or not, and every now and then I have to show them whose boss again. Now most of the volunteers delay their schedule a little so they can walk with me down to the office and huddle around me when the turkeys are out walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment