Friday 9 March 2012

Traditional Bone Healing

Stepping out the door of the house to the hand washing station I hear a whimpering. Jordina, a 17 year old boarding student at hope academy has fractured her arm. Charles, a URF staff member stands over her, rubbing bunches of dark green herbs over her arm. Not understanding and immediately sympathetic to her pain, I ask if he wants pain killers. “No, we are using traditional medicine,” He replies with a small smile. I find myself debating whether to brush him aside and sneak her acetaminophen anyway, or to accept and watch.  I decide to watch. Charles is using traditional medicine called Akeyoyeyo . This medicine is rubbed on the skin and is supposed to eliminate pain. I am concerned that it will not be adequate but, 30 minutes later, she is eating her dinner and if not laughing with a friend, enjoying her company. Later when I ask Charles about it he says in must be applied every morning before 7am and reapplied at 7pm for 5 day duration by a left-handed person. If it is not smeared on time you must wait until the next scheduled application. I’ll admit to you, because I have three years of a health science degree completed, this left handed herb rubbing had me pessimistic, but Jordinas arm pain is under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment