Monday 4 June 2012

[Commune] ity

I know I am part of the community because we take care of each other. When one person had a machete wound I dressed their wound and cared for them for 6 days until it healed and then they helped me with chores around the house and made my favourite food every morning for a week. Another person was hungry so I gave them food and now they share their peanut butter every morning. I helped someone carry jerry cans full of water for their shower and they remember every morning to give me cream for the many blisters on my hands (work gloves are very expensive so people tend to wrap banana leaves or small towels around work tools, one volunteer used to use her sock). Even the children that used to yell Muzungu now yell my name when I walk by their houses on the way to the trading post. I do not mind when people only speak Lugandan because I know that even if they say my name and then laugh they are not saying anything bad about me because they care for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment